Friday, March 30, 2012

Banana Bread

I've been very busy lately so when I realized I had to blog about a recipe this week, I didn't know when I would have the time to do it. But, as the bananas on my counter continued to ripen and get darker and darker, I knew I had to make banana bread. It's pretty quick and it's super tasty. I usually make a double batch, but since I only had 2 bananas, I only made 1 loaf.

My mom's banana bread recipe makes the BEST banana bread in the whole world! There are a lot of varieties of banana bread in existence and I dislike most of them (I know, I'm picky)! If it doesn't taste like what I'm used to (i.e. my mom's) then I probably won't like it. The problem with making this banana bread is that I want to eat it all! It's so good...I'm going to eat some right now!

Because we are so busy, Bill didn't help me by taking pictures this time - I took them myself. So, there are fewer pictures (I forgot to take some at each step) and they aren't as nice...but you get the idea, and the recipe is still super tasty!

The ingredients...missing the vanilla (I forgot to gather it for the picture).
Mash the bananas into an unappetizing pile of goo.
Blend the shortening and sugar, then add the other ingredients (according to the directions, of course).
Pour it all in a loaf pan and bake.
Delicious Banana Bread...hot out of the oven! It smells and tastes so good!

Banana Bread:

1/2 cup shortening (I use a combination of margarine and oil)
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup cold water
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1-2 eggs
2-3 bananas, mashed
2 cups flour
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla

Directions:
-Blend shortening and sugar together.
-In a separate bowl, mix water, salt and baking soda then add to sugar mixture.
-Stir in eggs and bananas.
-Add flour, cinnamon and vanilla.
-Pour into greased loaf or cake pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 45-55 minutes.

Dirty dishes - not too bad.
Banana Bread
Taste: 5 out of 5
Dirty Dishes: 5 out of 5
Time/Effort: 4 out of 5
TOTAL: 14 out of 15

No comments: