Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Gelato

I haven't forgotten about my "walking home" series. I still have a few posts before I finish that up. I have walked home and taken pictures of things, but I haven't had time to write about them. I'm finally starting to catch up...

Probably my favorite thing about Italy is gelato. During my first two weeks in Rome, I went out for gelato every night. I had to sample each gelateria near my house to find my favorite. I managed to find it just 2 blocks away. Since then, I've had much gelato!

If you've never had gelato, its much more than just ice cream. Its richer and creamier and better! It is usually made with very fresh ingredients, including fruits, nuts, chocolates, and other flavors you might not normally think of. It is so good! I was already a fan of gelato before arriving in Italy because I grew up spending many Sunday nights at 4D, an Italian gelateria in Peru. I have fond memories of the gelato from 4D...Pesca (peach) was always my favorite flavor.

Since I've been in Rome, I've decided that my favorite flavors are Limone (lemon) and Cacao (chocolate). They make a very sour lemon and a very dark, bitter chocolate. I think they go wonderfully together, and I rarely get any other flavor. I also like to stick with the same flavors at various gelaterias to more properly judge them. If I venture out and get a different flavor, I will always pair it with either Lemon or Chocolate so I can compare it to previous experiences.

As I'm walking home, I pass at least 6 gelaterias. My favorite one is Gelateria DG. (I have no idea what the DG stands for.) I've even been known to stop on my walk home and get some gelato, which defeats the purpose of walking home, I guess, but it sure is tasty! Many gelaterias in Rome have a giant ice cream cone outside so you can find them quickly. Its always a comforting sight to see a bright, colorful cone on the street!

I will miss my gelateria and I will miss having the opportunity to eat gelato all the time, every where! Its sad to think of a world without gelato. Too sad, in fact, I can't handle it! I will just have to find a nice place to get my gelato fix after I leave Rome.

slightly cracked ice cream cone...still good!
Gelateria DG
so many delicious flavors
even more flavors
my coppetta
gelateria at night

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay! A new post. Maybe DG means 'delicious gelato'! =] Peach & Cream are my favourites. I'm so simple tee hee! Maybe your next kitchen goodie can be a gelato maker!!!

Margaret said...

I'd have to vote for banana or hazlenut! My two favs. Gelato is ONE of the best things about Rome. Agree with Ray Ray about the gelato maker!!!

Sarsy said...

The cups are the ONLY way to go. I always get them. & I agree, gelato is definitely on of the best things about Rome. Bahh, I want Gelato now. :[
& YEY! New post.
:D

[even though i'm a few days late. hehehe]

Emma said...

as promised: Il Gelatone, Via dei Serpenti, 28. You have to go before you leave! I'll take you and Bill sometime, it's right off of Via Cavour. I so agree a gelateria every 15 steps is essential in any civil society. brava kara, brava!

Anonymous said...

KARA. I CAN'T WAIT FOR YOUR NEW BLOG SO I AM COMMENTING HERE.