Monday, June 22, 2009

Capri

At the end of May, Bill and I took a trip to Capri. Actually, it was a longer trip to Pompeii, Sorrento, and Capri but my favorite part was definitely Capri. It was right after our pack-out so I didn't feel like working very hard at making plans. In fact, I didn't really feel like planning at all - which is surprising since I usually love to plan. But, I was tired and I wanted someone else to plan for me. So, we booked a tour. We acted like regular tourists and signed up to be herded around and taken everywhere on a tour bus. Not usually my favorite way to see things, but it was just what I was in the mood for. We signed up for a 2-day trip with an overnight stay in Sorrento.

First, we visited Pompeii, which I had already seen, but Bill had not. It was a hot day and the ruins looked pretty much the same, but Bill enjoyed it. Next, we were off to Sorrento. Sorrento is on the north part of the Amalfi Peninsula. I don't think it technically counts as being part of the Amalfi Coast, but it is pretty close and it is very nice. We spent the night in Sorrento at a very nice hotel and the next day we took a ferry to Capri.

Capri was beautiful. We had lovely weather and everything was just perfect. We took a smaller boat out to the Blue Grotto and from there we transferred into row boats to enter the grotto. It is a very small opening in the cliff but inside it opens up into a cavern that is blue because of the light reflected in the water. It was fun. Next, we had lunch and drove to the top part of the island. From there, Bill and I took a chair lift to the tippy-top of the island...it was literally a chair lift - one seat at a time. It was so fun and you could see out over the entire island. The lift was my very favorite part. After that, we met up with our group again and did some shopping. Then it was back to Naples on the ferry and back to Rome on the bus.

Even though it was a quick trip, it was a lot of fun! I can't believe I've been in Italy for 3 years and I haven't been to Capri before this. I'm glad we finally saw it and I wish we could go back. Here is a link to the photo album that Bill posted with his pictures of our trip. I'll also include a couple of my own. Enjoy!!

http://public.fotki.com/HurtWa/sorrento-and-capri/


the Blue Grotto looked kinda green to me
both of us! (see Bill in the chair behind me?)
Bill enjoying the view
at the top
our guide was Marco

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hahaha, I like the sticker! Incase you get lost please call the guide! =] That's too funny! <3 xx

mom said...

And to think, we've never been there! Sigh! It's just too beautiful for words. Maybe someday - in my dreams:-) Thanks for the pictures. I look forward to perusing Bill's as well. They give us that feeling of having been there.