Saturday, June 23, 2012

10 Things I'll Miss

I'm starting to get antsy about leaving Panama.  In fact, I'm very ready to leave.  I'm ready to be in Oregon and start the next chapter in our lives!  Bill is already in Oregon, in our house, with our pets, and I'm still here...alone.  It's been hard to focus on finishing my time here without longing to be there.  The reasons I'm still here are all valid so I can't change anything...I just have to endure!  In an attempt to make that easier, I'm trying to focus on the things I will miss about Panama - the things I like.  There are many things that I will NOT miss, but there are some things that I like.  So, with 10 weeks left in this country here are 10 things I will miss.

10 Things I Will Miss
1. Living in a Jungle.  We live in a jungle and that's pretty cool!  There are a lot of reasons I'm ready to get out of the jungle, but sometimes I stop and look around and appreciate the jungle and all the creatures we've seen here.  It's an awesome part of God's creation.

2. Storms.  Panama has great storms!  I love to watch the sky turn from bright blue to almost black within minutes.  To see the bursts of lightning and hear the amazing thunder.  Watching the weather move across the sky is so much fun.  I love to watch the pounding rain (when I'm inside, of course).  I will miss the storms here...especially since my mom keeps telling me it doesn't rain like that in Oregon!  :)

3. Sunshine and Warmth.  Speaking of weather, I like the fact that Panama doesn't have winter.  After spending 6 winters in Indiana, I know I don't like snow!  Panama is hot and humid (which is annoying when you're all sweaty) but it's never cold and there's never snow!  And even though I love the storms, I also love the sun.  I can't remember a single day here when I didn't see the sun!

4. Driving.  Many people get headaches from driving in Panama and I know I hate it sometimes too...but it can also be really fun!  Traffic rules are more like suggestions here, so you have freedom to drive for fun.  I like weaving in and out of traffic (safely, of course) and I really like honking my horn.  Driving is always an adventure and sometimes I enjoy the challenge!

5. Free Housing.  Because of my job, we have lived in our house rent-free.  And, we've had most of our furniture provided, free.  This house is not something I would pick out, but it has served us well.  And, it's been free!  I will really miss that luxury...having a mortgage payment takes some of the fun out of owning a home.  It will be a big adjustment to go from having everything provided for us and taken care of for us to doing it all ourselves.

6. Crossroads Bible Church.  I have been blessed to be a part of an amazing church.  Even when I didn't know anyone at church, I enjoyed going each week.  It's a really good church!  And it allowed me to meet some really great people!

7. Spanish.  I like that Panama is a Spanish-speaking country (although English is also widely spoken).  And, although Panamanians speak a strange version of Spanish, I usually understand it.  I also like to have conversations with my friends and know that not everyone around me understands (it's so weird in the US when random people chime in on my conversations).  I'm sure I'll still be able to use some Spanish in the US, but it's been fun to surprise the locals when they don't expect the gringa to understand them!

8. The Panama Canal.  We live 5 minutes from the Miraflores Locks on the Panama Canal!!  How cool is that!?!  I've been to the Visitor's Center numerous times and it never gets old watching the boats go up and down.  I've loved getting to know more about the canal and taking friends and family to visit it.  We've even done a Partial Transit of the Canal twice - so much fun!

9. Beaches.  I will miss being so close to so many awesome beaches.  We might not go to the beach as often as some people, but we've enjoyed our share of beach weekends.  I love the variety and number of options available.  We've enjoyed Bocas del Toro, San Blas, Las Sirenas (Santa Clara), Palmar, Farallon, and Isla Contadora.  My favorite beach in Panama was on Isla Contadora.

10. FRIENDS!  Last, but most definitely not least, I will miss my friends!  I have made some amazing and lasting friendships during my time here.  As much as I want to leave Panama, I can't imagine my daily life without them.  I wish they could all move to Oregon with me!  :)  The nature of my job is to say good-bye every few years (maybe that's one reason I don't like my job anymore!) but I think this time will be the hardest one yet.  I'm so very thankful for all the friends I've made here (including the ones that have left before me)!

1 comment:

Abby Spencer said...

Oh dear! Make me bawl! Going to miss you like crazy girl! You are a sweet gift from the Lord! Praying sweet friends for you as you enter a new season of life! Super excited i get to spend your last few Panamanian weeks with you! Hugs, friend!