Saturday, July 28, 2012

Tuna Noodle Casserole

Last night we had a sort of Olympic Opening Ceremony party.  It wasn't a full party since we don't have TV, but we watched the festivities online...Cheryl, Jen, and I sat on the couch and starred at the laptop screen.  It was fun to spend the evening with friends.  We also had fun making (and eating) dinner together.  I am about to share with you one of my favorite meals.  Enjoy our version of Tuna Noodle Casserole...

The ingredients (I used more cheese than is pictured).
  
Mix the soup and tuna and other ingredients.
  
Meanwhile, boil the egg noodles until done (depending on your definition of "done").
  
Also meanwhile, continue mixing all the other ingredients.
  
Add the noodles to the other ingredients; mix well, then spread in 9x13 pan.
  
Sprinkle more cheese on top and more fried onions.

Cheryl is a great hand model/scooping model.  I never get a picture of the finished casserole because we always start eating before I remember to take one!

Such a yummy (and easy) dinner!

 Tuna Noodle Casserole

1 package (12 oz.) egg noodles
1/4 cup chopped onions (I use dried chopped onions because I'm usually too lazy to actually chop an onion - but either works)
2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded (I use any type of cheese I happen to have...usually a blend or mozzarella - I also use more than 2 cups...closer to 3)
1 cup frozen green peas (I often use a little more because I like peas)
2 cans (6 oz.) tuna, drained
2 cans (10.5 oz.) mushroom soup
1 can (4.5 oz.) mushrooms (I often omit this if I don't have any)
1 can (6 oz.) French's fried onions (the original recipe called for less, but who are we kidding?)

Directions:
-Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil.  Cook pasta in boiling water for 8-10 minutes.  Drain.
-In a large bowl, thoroughly mix chopped onions, 1 cup cheese (I usually use 1 1/2 cups),  peas, tuna, soup, mushrooms, and half the can of fried onions.  Add noodles (let them cool for a couple minutes).
-Transfer mixture to a 9x13-inch baking dish and top with remaining cheese (another 1 1/2 cups) and remaining fried onions.
-Bake in 425 degree oven for 15-20 minutes or until cheese is bubbly.

   
Dirty dishes - not bad.  The casserole dish isn't pictured and it's usually the worst thing to wash because of all the stuck-on cheese.  But, since this meal is essentially made in one bowl, I'd say it's pretty good.  (If you chop the onions, you'd have a few more dirty dishes.)
 
Tuna Noodle Casserole
Taste: 5 out of 5
Dirty Dishes: 4 out of 5
Time/Effort: 5 out of 5
TOTAL: 14 out of 15

1 comment:

Jen said...

Going to make this at my house!!! It was yummy!