Saturday, September 22, 2012

5 Things From Our Shipment

One of the perks of working for the government is that they ship your personal belongings all over the world for you.  So, back in July, I packed up most of what we own and it was sent on a boat to Oregon.  This week, it finally arrived!!!  However, because my parents are currently living with us, and have most of their furniture moved in already, we decided to leave our stuff in boxes.  At least, most of it.  We have opened a few boxes to get out necessary items, or just to use different clothes (it's starting to get chilly here).  I thought it would be fun to make a short list of some of the items we decided were essential...some of them are rather strange.

5 Things From Our Shipment
1. Cake Decorating Kit.  Normally, I don't think decorating a cake is essential, but since my mom's birthday is this week, I want to make a special cake for her.  So, I need my decorating bag and tips.  Luckily, the kit was easy to find because I kept such a detailed packing list!

2. Clippers.  Because Bill's hair grows so fast, he's been spending lots of money to get it cut regularly.  It's not his fault that they charge so much for a simple haircut.  But, since we own clippers, and I'm here now, it's time for Bill to get FREE haircuts.  We found the clippers easily and I've already given Bill a haircut.  And, since he sat out on the deck for the trim, the clean-up was easy!

3. Desk and Chair.  This one seems obvious, but it's been really nice.  Like I said, my parents have their furniture in our house so they each have a desk.  However, I didn't have a good place to use my laptop and cluttering up the kitchen island all the time wasn't very convenient.  So, we had the movers unpack my desk and desk chair and now I have a little office space set up.  I love it and it makes it easier to waste time on my computer all day!

4. Alarm Clock.  You might assume that since I'm not working, I wouldn't need an alarm clock to wake me up each morning...and that's true.  But, I do like my illuminated alarm clock (with the over-sized numbers) so I know what time it is in the middle of the night.  And, the big numbers are especially helpful when I have my contacts out.  So, I unpacked it and plugged it in and now I always know what time it is.

5. Bread Machine.  Again, this isn't often considered "essential" for most people, but I decided I needed it.  Now that I'm not working, I want to make wonderful dinners every night.  That means we're reviving our traditional pizza night each week.  And, since I use the bread machine to make my pizza dough, I had to unpack it.  I plan to make some delicious pizzas each week...I'm really looking forward to it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeaaaa for being so organized! It really came in handy! I would love to be there for one of your homemade pizzas. Sounds so yummy.

Glad you are settling in a little more. =)