Saturday, September 29, 2012

White Sauce

When I was growing up, any time we had waffles - we had white sauce.  I guess it's also called "waffle sauce" but I don't remember ever hearing that.  It was always just white sauce, and it was delicious on waffles.  Now that I'm an adult, I don't make waffles very often.  I love waffles, don't get me wrong, but they just seem like too much work.  I usually wait until I'm with my dad or sister and let them make waffles for me.  Luckily, today, it happened...my dad made me waffles!  So, of course, we made white sauce.  It's a creamy, vanilla-y, sauce that makes waffles even more delicious.  I usually add white sauce AND maple syrup, but the white sauce is perfectly tasty without the syrup.  And, the beauty of this recipe is that it's so simple!  Next time you have waffles (or even pancakes), try making white sauce!  (It's the first "perfect" score I've given using the scoring system at the bottom!)

The ingredients - so simple! 
(The sugar and flour are in the fancy canisters.)

Combine flour, sugar, and boiling water...stir until it thickens.

Serve it in a pretty pitcher.

Pour it on your waffle and ENJOY!  I added some maple syrup too!


White Sauce (or Waffle Sauce)

1 cup sugar
1/4 cup flour
2 cups boiling water
1/4 cup margarine or butter
1 teaspoon vanilla

Directions:
-Mix sugar and flour together (you can sift to prevent lumping, but I'm usually too lazy to do that).
-Slowly add boiling water.
-Bring to a boil and continue boiling until thickened.
-Add margarine and vanilla.

Dirty dishes...again, so simple!

White Sauce
Taste: 5 out of 5
Dirty Dishes: 5 out of 5
Time/Effort: 5 out of 5
TOTAL: 15 out of 15
The first PERFECT score!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Never heard of this! Looks so yummy!!!! (and easy) =)