Friday, December 14, 2012

7-Layer Bars

It's time for cookies!  Actually, I can't believe I haven't made any before now.  I've been busy, but I finally decided that I wanted cookies TODAY.  Even though Spritz are my favorite Christmas cookie, they take a little more time to make.  So, I decide to start with a cookie that's a little quicker.  7-Layer Bars are in my Top 5 favorite cookies so I was happy to start with them.  I don't know why they are called 7-Layer Bars because they only have 4-5 layers as far as I can tell (they only have 7 ingredients after all).  But, they are tasty so I don't care what they're called!  They aren't really cookies since they are bars and they are ooey and gooey, but if you like chocolate and coconut, you will love them!

The ingredients.

Mix melted butter and graham cracker crumbs.

Spread in the bottom of the pan and press into a crust.

Layer the coconut on the crust.

Layer the chocolate chips and nuts on top of the coconut.

Pour on the sweetened condensed milk.

This is what it looks like before it goes in the oven
(I forgot to take a picture of it after!) 

The tasty finished product...so good!


7-Layer Bars

1 1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/2 stick butter, melted
1 cup shredded coconut
1 cup chocolate chips
1 cup butterscotch chips (optional) (I never use these because I prefer just chocolate!)
1 cup chopped nuts (I used pecans, but walnuts are also good)
1 can sweetened condensed milk

Directions:
-Combine graham cracker crumbs and melted butter.  Spread over the bottom of 9x9-inch pan.  Press into pan to create a crust.
-Layer coconut, chips, and nuts, one at a time, on top of crust.
-Pour sweetened condensed milk over layers.
-Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.  Let cool and cut into bars.  Refrigerate leftovers.


 Dirty Dishes.

7-Layer Bars
Taste: 5 out of 5
Dirty Dishes: 4 out of 5
Time/Effort: 5 out of 5
TOTAL: 14 out of 15

No comments: