Sunday, April 5, 2009

Sma

Last Friday was my first day to walk home (this year). As part of my new series, I decided to start easy. I needed groceries, and the grocery store is on the way home, so I walked past it and took some pictures! When I first arrived in Rome, I wasn't very happy with the grocery store. Grocery shopping requires a completely different mentally in Italy. People buy their food a little bit at a time, instead of buying a whole cart full. This means that they tend to buy food that is more fresh, but it also means they have to go shopping more often. Of course, this took some time for me to get used to. I couldn't complain too much, though, because the store is about 1.5 blocks away...very close. Once I got used to it, I actually liked the Sma, our grocery store. (The name is "Sma" but last year they renovated the whole thing and I think they changed the name to "Punto Sma". We still call it "Sma".)

Sma is a relatively small grocery store with limited stock, but it usually has what I need. (It is a small store that is actually below street level. There is a long "drive-way" to get in and there are no windows inside.) It has a small produce section, a small bakery and deli section, and a small version of all the regular grocery store sections. Things are more expensive than in the US, but that's true of most everything in Italy. During a normal week, we usually go to the Sma about 3 times. Bill often goes during the day to buy normal things like milk or fruit. We also go on Saturday afternoons to prepare for pizza night or other special events. Saturday mornings are very busy, but by the afternoon there aren't many people shopping. Its more enjoyable that way.

One of the things that I like about grocery stores in Italy is the carts. (They have regular shopping carts, but very few people use them.) Instead, they have small carts that you pull around behind you (kind of like a carry-on suitcase). The size is adequate for the normally small amount of groceries that people buy. It also makes moving around the narrow aisles easier. I like the Sma and I like grocery shopping, especially now that the strawberries are in season...yummy! Our Sma is just one of the things I see as I am walking home.

our grocery store...Sma!
the first aisle (notice the green carts)
the milk section
the fresh fish section
the deli meats section
cheese!
the olive oil section (lots of olive oil!)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay! Your first post :] Excitement!

I love Smas, they are way better than any GS. That's a whole lot of olive oil!

Emma said...

i was on my way there when i saw you yesterday! you missed my veggie shiskabobs and cucumber/tomato/chick pea salad...

mom said...

I think the Sma is so very cool. I loved getting to walk the aisles and consult the Italian housewives for advice on which cheese to buy. Somehow our Spanish/Italian mixture worked and we communicated. At least I think we did. Also bought a million dark chocolate bars there to take back to Peru as gifts. I remember the nice produce there and I found dates to put in my California fruitcake at Christmas. Such a neat, close-to-home place to shop. Who needs Naples!!!