Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Comfort Food

Last week we had yet another recipe from the cookbook. In fact, I made two recipes for one meal. The title of the cookbook is "Comfort Food" and nothing sounds more like comfort food to me than meatloaf and mashed potatoes (Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes to be exact). It was the perfect meal for a Sunday afternoon dinner!

I have never made meatloaf before and what I ended up with was not exactly what I thought it would be, but it was tasty. We made a gravy to serve over it too, and that added to the flavor and helped with the appearance (a loaf of meat is not really the prettiest). It definitely tasted better than it looked!

The mashed potatoes were delicious. We both love potatoes and garlic so this was the perfect recipe. I roasted the garlic in the oven for over an hour and then mashed everything together. It was really tasty, but I'm not sure the "roasted" garlic was better than plain garlic. Next time, I might just save time and make Regular Garlic Mashed Potatoes.

In the end, it was a very yummy meal. And, we had meatloaf sandwiches the next day with the leftovers (delicious). I'd say these recipes were a hit!

ingredients for both recipes

meatloaf finished product
mashed potatoes roasted garlicfinished productSunday meal!

Next time, I'm going to try a dessert. I haven't made a dessert from this cookbook yet and there are plenty of choices. I'm going to include one in our Thanksgiving meal and after that, I'll experiment with some new ones! Something to look forward to...

2 comments:

Emma said...

WHOA FIRST COMMENT, FIRST TIME, woohoo!!! That was on my 30 lifetime goals list haha. Though I know it only happened cause Rachey is not able to use the net. Anyways, I love these two dishes and the pics made my mouth water. How was Thanksgiving????? I made Apple Pie with the dough recipe I sent you once, did you ever end up making that? Miss you!

mom said...

Yummmmmm! Roasted garlic in your mashed potatoes. I could use some of that right now! That's what I call true comfort food. Right up there with homemade macaroni and cheese. The meatloaf looks great too, of course. Gravy was a good addition.