Monday, November 30, 2009

Flavor of the Month - Traditions

Bake at 350

Here I am again and its time for Flavor of the Month. This month, the flavor is "Traditions". Not really a flavor, but a good theme nonetheless, especially in this season of wonderful holidays. I have a lot of traditions to observe in the next few weeks so it wasn't hard to find something to write about. But, as I considered all my traditions for this post I wanted it to include something a little less obvious. Of course, there are all the traditional foods that I have to have each year to make my Thanksgiving feast complete, but that seemed too easy. I wanted an old, family tradition to share. I found one! Even though I haven't used this recipe for more than a few years, and I'm not sure how often my mom used it, it came from my grandma so it classifies as an old, family recipe!

To prepare for Thanksgiving, I had to make several pies (although I didn't make a pumpkin pie this year and I was sad...but that's another story). In order to do that, I needed pie crust. [I know some people buy their pie crust pre-made, and that's fine, but I grew up where they didn't sell refrigerated pie crust so everyone just made them from scratch.] There are a million pie crust recipes and most of them work just fine, but several years ago when I was in need of a good recipe and I was making several pies at once, my mom passed on to me the recipe my grandma used. And my grandma was a baker so she should know! The recipe sounds absurd and its hard to believe it works, but it makes the best crust! Also, the original recipe is scaled to make 18 pie crusts, so the amounts can seem a little overwhelming. I usually cut it in half and make 8-9 crusts at a time. I roll them into balls and freeze them. Then, whenever I need a pie crust, I just defrost it and roll it out. It works wonderfully and I love the recipe. So, without further ado, here is my tradition: Grandma's Pie Crust.

Grandma's Pie Crust
5 lbs. all-purpose flour
3 lbs. Crisco
2 cans 7up
1 tsp. salt

Mix all ingredients together with your hands until well mixed (until it resembles pie crust). Form into 18 balls and freeze (or roll them all out and make 18 pies!). Enjoy!

a LOT of flour and a LOT of Crisco

don't forget the 7up

gooey and squishy (you HAVE to use your hands!) pretty pie crusts

4 comments:

bridget {bake at 350} said...

I love that....bulk pie crust! And with 7-up!!! Thank you so much for linking this recipe up...and for the picture of all that Crisco! ;)

mom said...

I made this recipe a while back and thought I had used the last 2 on my Thanksgiving pumpkin pies. So imagine my delight when I cleaned out the freezer today and discovered 2 more - all ready for Christmas pies. (BTW, your pix are so graphic and good - probably because you're in one of them this time:-) I agree with you - this really is the best and easiest pie crust recipe I've ever made. It turns out perfect every time. And it came from Grandma - such a nice tradition.

Dorothy said...

Very unique recipe with the 7-Up! I bet it's really handy to have all those pie crusts ready and waiting for you in the freezer. This post and the movie "Waitress" reminds me that I don't make enough pies...

Jelli said...

I really like this idea! I saw Nigella make a pie crust this weekend using oj, saying the acid helps to tenderize the dough. I'll bet that the 7up works in the same manner. I'll definitely be trying this, as I make pies very often. I love getting my hands dirty in pie crust dough (cookie dough, bread dough, etc.) so your method sounds perfect to me.