Sunday, November 29, 2009

Thanksgiving and Apple Pie

I hope you all had a Happy Thanksgiving! We had a good day with lots of cooking and eating and football watching. We celebrated the day at a friend's house and there was lots of food...more than we needed. So much food that we literally had the same number of desserts as people! The good part is that we still have lots of yummy leftovers. It was a delicious day full of thanksgiving! It was also the first thanksgiving in my life (that I can remember) when I didn't have pumpkin pie. I was sad about that, but I made a pumpkin trifle instead and it was tasty, so I guess I can wait until Christmas for my pumpkin pie!

I also used Thanksgiving as an opportunity to make another recipe from the cookbook. I made an apple pie, from scratch. I've made apple pies before but I usually cheat by using a can of pie filling. This time, I made it with real (fresh) apples. The crust recipe that came with the apple pie recipe was very frustrating (I prefer to make my grandma's crust recipe) and I almost gave up on it...but I kept trying and finally made it work. The pie tasted pretty good, but I think I'll use the canned pie filling in the future (its just easier).

part of our feast
pumpking trifle
recipe
apples (didn't know which type was better so I used both)
bowl full of apples
apple pie!

1 comment:

mom said...

Was the Thanksgiving dinner picture taken at your house? Looks like your dishes and tablecloth - but not your orange star jello salad? I'm confused.

Your apple pie looks like a prize winner at the county fair. Don't give up on real apples just yet. I think your filling recipe was lacking something. Try again with a normal recipe. You said you had trouble with the crust, but it sure doesn't look like it. Looks professional to me.

I can't imagine Thanksgiving without pumpkin pie, though your trifle looks terrific. I'll have to try that sometime.