Thursday, July 23, 2009

Peru Trip - Day 2

Our second day in Peru (really our third if you count the 30 minutes we were here on the first day...but I'm not counting them, so I'm saying second) we traveled. We left Lima, on the coast, and headed to Huanuco, in the Andes mountains, where my parents live. My dad drove and it usually takes about 7-8 hours. I'm not really sure how long it took this time because we stopped several times for pictures and food. But, it was a good trip - one I've made many, many times but will probably not make again (at least, not any time soon). Before we got out of town, we couldn't resist having some breakfast at Dunkin' Donuts. Well, maybe everyone else could resist, but I couldn't and I convinced them all! So, breakfast was not very Peruvian but very delicious just the same!

breakfast

After our nutritious breakfast, we headed up the hill...literally. Leaving from Lima towards Huanuco you climb very quickly from sea level on UP! We wound around in the mountains for several hours until we made it to Ticlio, the top. We always stop beside the tourist sign...it isn't really a tourist stop, but there is a sign. The claim to fame is that it is the highest standard-gage railroad in the world - a stop not included on very many tourist itineraries. We enjoyed the view and then went a little further for lunch. We stopped at El Tambo. Another one of my favorite restaurants in all of Peru. We've been stopping there for lunch between Lima and Huanuco for as long as I have been alive. I always get my favorite meal, Lomo Saltado and Inca Kola. El Tambo is a little restaurant on the side of the road that isn't very fancy, but it has some VERY good food and the prices are great.

lunch

Bill wanted to try something different so he picked things off the menu and asked for explanations. He finally settled on Escabeche de Pollo. He really enjoyed it and made some very dramatic comments about how great it was! My parents both had typical Peruvian soups: Caldo de Pollo and Sopa a la Criolla. I'd say everyone really enjoyed their meals, which is normal at El Tambo!

Escabeche de Pollo
Lomo Saltado
Caldo de Pollo
Sopa a la Criolla

We arrived in Huanuco after a long day on the road...but it was a good day. We had delicious food (again) and we stopped to take even more pictures. Bill got some great shots of the llamas and he will post those later, when he gets time to work on them. For dinner, we had Arroz con Pollo, but we were too distracted by the good food (again) and tired from the trip that we forgot to take pictures. You'll just have to trust me that it was super yummy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It all looks so good! I'm jealous of the DD though, I hope you had a glazed for me ;]

=D

margaret said...

DD is the best choice for road trip breakfast. Your Lomo looked so yummy. Enjoy your Inca Kola!