Monday, July 13, 2009

Siena Pictures

For the 4th of July, we took our last trip in Italy. Actually, we left on the 3rd of July because it was a holiday for us and we went up to Siena. I've been in Italy for 3 years and I had never been to Siena. A lot of people talk about Siena and some say it is their very favorite town so I decided we had to go before leaving for good. We took the train up on Friday afternoon and found our cute hotel. On the way up, we passed a million fields filled with sunflowers and I thought of my mom. There were tons of them...yellow as far as the eye could see. I tried to get a picture of them but the train was a little too quick for my camera.

In Siena, we arrived the day after their big annual horse race. Its called Il Palio and all the neighborhoods compete in a horse race around the main square. Its a big deal and the locals take it very seriously. We weren't there for the race, but we were there when the winning team paraded all around town with their flags and drums and neighbors to brag about their victory. The winners of the race win a banner that a local artist paints each year (called a palio). We were able to see the winning team parading all around town in several different locations and Bill got a lot of great pictures. The next day we slept in and ate some food and just hung out. It was a very relaxing vacation and a fitting end to our wonderful time in Italy. (Although, I'm not sure I would say Siena is my favorite town...I have other favorites.)

Bill posted his pictures for this short trip rather quickly. You can see them here. Enjoy!

my attempt at a picture of sunflowers

Bill in the main square of Siena

Our time in Italy is rapidly coming to an end. I had hoped to blog about a few more things that I will miss from Rome, but I just don't have the time. I have the pictures and the ideas in mind, but I can't find the time to sit down and write about them properly. I guess I'll have to write about them after I'm gone and I'm reminiscing. I hope you can wait until then!

3 comments:

Margaret said...

Yeah I get to be first!! But I do this for Ray-Ray. Beautiful photos!!

Mom said...

I was so excited to get on and find your new blog post this morning! Thanks. And the pix are great! I left a few comments here and there, (along with Nina :-) Sienna looks similar to when we were there but we missed the color and history of the horse races and neighborhood competition. I'm sure that event must date back to medieval times. How very interesting. And the gelato looks like some of the best in all of Italy! At least it's displayed in an irresistable way. How could anyone pass it up?! Certainly not me! Thanks for trying to get shots of the sunflower fields. I appreciate the effort and can fully imagine how beautiful it must have been.

Anonymous said...

I cannot believe you are gone. I also cannot believe that I didn't get the first comment. =[ Mom gave me your letter & it made me sad. <3 I look forward to your next blog hopefully I can make the first comment too! =D