Saturday, July 25, 2009

Peru Trip - Day 3 & 4

We're still in Peru...continuing our trip and having lots of fun. Our third day here was spent mostly at home. It was my dad's birthday so we had a tasty lunch of Aji de Gallina (another of my favorites) and birthday cake. I didn't take any pictures of lunch, but I took some video clips...after our trip is all over, I'll make a good video.

birthday cake

For dinner, we went downtown. We treated Bill to a a real specialty. We had Salchipapas, which is french fries, hot dogs, and scrambled eggs all mixed up and served with condiments. Its a very popular dish and it was delicious. Of course, we had Inca Kola to wash it all down! While we were downtown, we also listened to a local band playing in the main plaza. There are always a lot of people out and about in the evenings here in Huanuco. It was a fun evening.

salchipapas

The next day we took an outing. We wanted to show Bill some different parts of the surrounding area and the wonders of Peru so we headed to Tingo Maria. We drove further inland and up the mountains. After passing thru the tunnel, we arrived on the other side, in the jungle. We drove from the mountain region of Peru to the jungle region. It was very cloudy and even rainy so it made the trip interesting.

mountains on the way
we were above the clouds some of the time

We went to a hotel/park area that had wildlife and other attractions. We enjoyed our own picnic lunch, sitting on the patio by the pool. They had a bunch of animals there and Bill had a lot of fun taking pictures of them. One animal in particular really liked him - a deer! The deer followed Bill around for a long time and kept trying to get friendly with him...but Bill refused. Then the deer just got mad and started attacking Bill. It was kind of funny, but I was worried the deer would attack me next so I didn't get out my video camera. The deer actually reared up on his back legs flailing his hooves in Bill's face. Finally the animal guy arrived and the deer ran off, but not before Bill got all muddy. It was definitely the excitement of the day!!

picnic lunch
vicious, attacking deer

After lunch, and after Bill recovered, we headed up the bumpy road to the bat cave. Actually, its not a bat cave, its a cave of small nocturnal birds, but there are a lot of bats too. We hiked up to the cave and enjoyed the new walkway that kept us off the floor of bat/bird poop!

bat cave

It was late when we finally returned to Huanuco after a fun day in Tingo Maria. It was very nice to have dinner ready and waiting for us. Dinner was a special treat just for Bill. Something that I haven't had for a while and probably won't have ever again. We had Picante de Cuy. Bill knew what it was and ate several pieces. (I'm not sure if I should tell you what cuy is, some people are shocked to hear we eat it! Cuy is guinea pig.) It was actually very good. The sauce with the rice and potatoes was super yummy. A very tasty treat to end our fun day!

Picante de Cuy

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ugh, I'm so glad I was having a snack while I was reading this. :] Your pictures are so crips and nice. They make me hungry! :]

I MISS YOU GUYS.

margaret said...

Love the photos of the mountains. Was that dinner???

The Foust Family said...

I was waiting for the post on salchipapas. I knew there would be one! mmmmm...yummy! looks delicious and it looks like you guys are having a great trip :)