Sunday, January 31, 2010

Flavor of the Month - Boozy

This month, the Flavor of the Month is Boozy. My problem is that I don't have a lot of recipes that include alcohol...in fact, I couldn't think of a single one. (Mainly because I don't like the taste of most alcohol/liquor.) But, I glanced thru the cookbook that I'm currently cooking thru and found a few desserts that included booze. We bought our first bottle of brandy and I made a recipe that used 1 Tbsp. Not a lot, but it still counts. This afternoon, I whipped up a batch of "Rich Chocolate Mousse". And even though it's not a favorite old recipe, it was pretty good. However, I must warn that it is definitely not a late night dessert. It is very rich, as the title states. The hint of brandy is just enough for me in this tasty, decadent dessert.

the recipe
we used the good chocolate - and it was intense
yummy chocolate
yummy melted chocolate
it may not look very pretty but it was rich and delicious

Bake at 350

Rich Chocolate Mousses
10 1/2 oz. semisweet chocolate (at least 70% cocoa solids)
1 1/2 tbsp unsalted butter
1 Tbsp brandy
4 eggs, separated
Unsweetened cocoa, for dusting

Break the chocolate into small pieces and put into a heatproof bowl set over a pan of barely simmering water. Add the butter and melt with the chocolate, stirring, until smooth. Remove from the heat, stir in the brandy, and let cool slightly. Add the egg yolks and beat until smooth.

In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks have formed, then fold into the chocolate mixture. Divide 4 stainless steal cooking rings between 4 small serving plates, then spoon the mixture into each ring and level the surfaces. Transfer to the refrigerator and let chill for at least 4 hours until set.

Remove the mouses from the refrigerator and discard the cooking rings. Dust with unsweetened cocoa and serve.

4 comments:

bridget {bake at 350} said...

It sounds phenomenal! I could really just eat the entire bowl of melted chocolate!!! :)

Anonymous said...

Hehe that looks SO good. It ~*~*~*~*~DAZZLED~*~*~*~*~ me because it's Twilight though.

Suzy said...

I have been looking for a good chocolate mousse recipe that was more rich than sweet...I think this is it! Thanks for posting!

Emma said...

kara that cake looks heavenly, nice job.