Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Metal Mouth

You can now officially call me metal mouth! That's right, I have braces! The orthodontist took a look last month and told me I have "severe crowding". She (and the dentist) recommended braces. The dentist wanted them so he could more easily clean my squished teeth. The orthodontist wanted them to help my smile...or appearance...or something similar (and, most likely, for the money she gets $$). In a moment of weakness, I agreed. I wasn't particularly concerned about my smile/appearance/whatever...I had grown quite fond of my crooked teeth. But, the dentist made a compelling point. I HATE going to the dentist, and if getting braces will lessen the pain of future dentist visits, I thought it might be an OK idea. So, I said yes...and I was promptly scheduled for an extraction (remember, my crowding was severe).

12 days ago they took my teeth...well, they didn't really take them because I still have them...but they removed the teeth from their happy home. And today, the big day, I got my braces! I have to admit that I'm in pain. Not a sharp or stabbing pain, but a dull and constant "pulling" pain. It is also very uncomfortable to have extra stuff in my mouth. I'm getting used to moving my lips around the braces to conceal them. I think this is going to be a long and painful process, but I'm hoping it will be worth it in the end. I'm hoping that I still think it was a good idea when I'm done. Either way, there's no turning back now...the metal is in my mouth!



At least now I feel a connection to my favorite James Bond villain, Jaws!

1 comment:

mom said...

You survived. I'm proud of you!! I agree with Bill. You look cute and it will be worth it all. Hang in there.