Saturday, November 22, 2008

Iron Chef

Tonight, my friend Rachael and I had a fun competition. We did our own version of Iron Chef! (If you don't know what Iron Chef is, look it up here.) Of course, the rules were different, because we can't come up with meals and make them in 1 hour (like the real show), but we did have fun. We picked a "secret ingredient," we planned our meals and then tonight, we got together and we each made two dishes. We invited our friends to be the judges (not that the points matter) and we enjoyed a fun evening. Unfortunately, I don't have pictures of all our food because Bill didn't have his camera at the beginning, but he did take some shots.

We decided we will do an Iron Chef competition again some time, it was fun. This time, Margaret picked the "secret ingredient" and it was a good one. It was fun for us to cook and it was fun for others to judge. This time the "secret ingredient" was Fresh Pasta. It seems appropriate since we're in Italy and its a readily available ingredient!

Rachael made two dishes: the first was Orecchiette pasta with Salmon and Cream Sauce. The second was Sausage, Mushrooms, and Peas with Orecchiette. It was super delicious and yummy. I enjoyed both dishes very, very much. (I only have a picture of the second dish - sorry Rachael).


I also made two dishes: the first was Zucchini Tortellini Soup. It was really good...I might have to make it again sometime. My second dish was a bit of an experiment. I decided to try a dessert pasta so I made Fettuccine with chocolate sauce and a scoop of chocolate chip ice cream. My reasoning was that the ingredients for noodles are the same for crepes and other similar foods so it should be good with chocolate. Unfortunately, it wasn't a big hit. It really didn't taste bad and some people ate it -- others did not care for it. But, I had to try, and I got points originality!

In the end, our score was very close but Rachael won by one point. Yay, Rachael!! Too bad we don't have a prize or a trophy. It was a lot of fun and I look forward to our next Iron Chef! Emma gets to pick the next "secret ingredient" - lucky her! I'll let you know when we do it again!

1 comment:

Emma said...

I for one loved the dessert pasta and cleaned my plate. Congratulations Rach!