Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Miniature Flags

I'm nearing the end of my series of My Favorite Things. I just have six left, so I better make them good ones. Of course, this list is in no particular order! The next one is my set of miniature flags. I love flags and maps (and globes, as you already know). It all started when I was given my first overseas assignment. They had a ceremony called "Flag Day" where they announced each country and who would be sent there by handing out flags. When your name was called, you had to walk to the front of the room and get your little flag. I got Pakistan. It was such a cute little flag, but it was lonely. I had lived in other countries and I felt that they should be represented too. So, the next time I was in the mall, I bought more flags. (You know, those little kiosks in the middle of the mall that sell the miniature flags and pins and decals?) I bought the missing flags and I've slowly been adding to my collection since. In fact, just last weekend I went online and ordered even more - I decided that I should include the flags from the countries Bill has lived in too! So, we have a few more flags on the way and a new flag stand too. Maybe I will post an updated picture when they arrive. But, even when they aren't complete, I love my flags. Each one is so cute. They represent all the years I've spent around the world...good times!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

=] That's a nice story. I'm going to go on a hunt for all your flags next time I visit <3

Anonymous said...

AWWW!!!!!