Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Shot Glasses

No list of My Favorite Things would be complete without mentioning my collection - my shot glass collection, that is. About 10 years ago, I started collecting shot glasses. A lot of people think this is an odd collection because I don't drink. But, I don't collect the glasses for drinking...I collect them just to collect them!

It all started when I was visiting San Francisco with my sister. We tried to go to Alcatraz, but there were no tickets available. Instead, we walked around and bought souvenirs. I was in college and very poor then, so I couldn't afford much. One of the few things I could afford was a $2 shot glass. It was cute and funny so I bought it. I realized that one shot glass by itself was pathetic, so as I drove back across the US, I bought a shot glass in each state. They are easy to find - every gas station has a few and they are always cheap.

After a while, I realized that I needed a way to display all my shot glasses. I mean, what's the point of having a collection, if no one can see it. So, I asked my dad to build me a shelf. I gave him the dimensions and he made me a great custom shelf. My dad made 3 shelves for me and then I had to have 3 more made in Honduras. Pretty soon, I will have too many glasses for my shelves...I don't know what I'm going to do then!

I collect shot glasses because they are cheap, readily available, and small. My first glass was the Alcatraz one and my most recent addition is from Disneyland Paris. I love my collection and its fun to look at all the different glasses and remember all the places I've been. Its a fun collection because of all the memories!







1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yay for shotglasses! :] Wherever I go I start looking for them to bring you now! <3